Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Reptile Expenses

I love my ball python Mr.Kush. But the one thing I don't love about him is how expensive it was to get him. Fortunately I was given Mr.Kush by one of my sister's friends, who I traded my fox snake with. I had no cage for Kush when I first got him and I had to keep him in a glass jar. I was really lucky to have someone give me one of their old reptile gallon cages. The average price of a large gallon tank for a snake or lizard is around $100-$150. But the REALLY nice ones look like this:

http://www.cagesbydesign.com/

I would love to get a giant cage someday like those ones for Mr.Kush but I don't exactly have $6,000 to spend on one. The nice thing about fancy cages are that they come with everything you will possibly need for your reptile. Most of them come with built in heat lamps and pads, vines and tree branches to climb on, and other accessories your reptile will enjoy. A majority of reptiles are used to living in a very warm or tropical climate so getting a cage that has everything a tropical climate has would be very beneficial.

This is the climate I keep Kush in.

Kush in his home. 
I have a wood log for him to sleep in which has a heat pad underneath the glass to keep him warm. I have a long branch for him to climb on, soft bedding for him to crawl around, and 2 heat bulbs that are over his cage to keep him nice and toasty warm. The temperature of his cage is about 80 F at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment